Saturday, April 27, 2013

Red Velvet Cake

I just learned that Mayet's favorite cake is Red Velvet. I should have known this though. In the past, whenever she was assigned to bring a dessert, she always brought red velvet cake. And on her birthday last year, her fiancé made her red velvet cake.

So, for her birthday this year, I made her a red velvet cake. I'd never made it before. And because this was for Mayet, I searched the web for the most catchy red velvet cake recipe. This is how I found The BEST Red Velvet Cake Recipe - Divas Can Cook. This recipe must be shared!

Here are the ingredients and prices, since I'm on a "Name That Price" roll.

 
2 cups all purpose flour $0.30
1 teaspoon of baking soda $0.01
1 teaspoon of baking powder $0.04
1 teaspoon of salt $0.04
2 Tablespoon of unsweetened, cocoa powder $0.50
2 cups sugar $1.00
1 cup vegetable oil $0.67
2 eggs $0.66
1 cup buttermilk $0.95
2 teaspoon of vanilla extract $0.72
1-2 oz. red food coloring $6.38
1 teaspoon of white distilled vinegar $0.01
½ cup of prepared plain hot coffee $0.58


Total $11.86

I did not use the commonly associated icing, to which Abmel commented "I would have used a cream cheese icing..." Well, I didn't! Here's the ingredients for the best frosting I've ever had: 


5 Tablespoons Flour $0.18
1 cup Milk $0.38
1 teaspoon Vanilla $0.36
1 cup Butter $2.59
1 cup Granulated Sugar (not Powdered Sugar!) $0.47


Total $3.98



That's a whopping $15.84 for this red velvet cake. 

And Jaida loved it!


.

No comments:

Post a Comment